Wednesday 9 December 2015

Alien Head GAME TEXTURE DEVELOPMENT

I started off with the Zbrush file without anything on it as a basic head and started to plan out what I would texture in what order and what colours I would need to implement on to the head to make it look how I wanted it to.

I had to paint my model when I'd decided on what I wanted the colour of it to be and even though it may look hard its really simple and actually quite fun to paint a model in zbrush I really enjoyed using this program.

I started off texturing the head and neck of my alien and at first I didn't like the colour I was using so I went through a few iterations of different colours and finally settled on my purplish colour. I wanted to add detail to the neck that made it stand out so i added yellow splotches making it look more alien like, I also made the top of it's head as though you could see it's skull on top which gave it a nice effect, I added darker shades to areas that would be a darker colour and I made it look right in my eyes and how I wanted it.










The eyes weren't hard to do at all I just added a base blue colour and drew on the black cat like eyes that I knew I wanted for my model. Although while working on the eyes I realised I hadn't defined any eyebrow type things so I did that and made a darker effect around the eyes.











The teeth were done in 2 parts the top and bottom set and I added my base colour that I wanted them to be then added a dark version of that colour where the gums would be to add a nice looking effect and then I made the tips whiter so it gave off the illusion that my alien had sharp teeth













The spine wasn't hard when I decided that I wanted to give it that metal look so it looked more like an alien and gave the effect I had wanted it too.









After I had fully textured my model I used a cavity mask to bring out the more in depth details in my model by using a darker iteration of the colour I had original used. This gave a great effect and I'm glad I decided to use it.

Now the poly-painting was done I exported the head, eyes and teeth as .OBJ's. Using X-Normals I could use the head I had painted in Z-Brush as a high poly mesh to apply to the low poly one provided for us within Maya. The vertex colours can be read by X-Normals to generate a diffuse map, as well as the program being able to generate a normal and ambient occlusion map from the mesh. I overlayed the ambient occlusion map onto the diffuse in Photoshop by setting the layer to multiply, this brought out much more depth in the colour. I was also able to create a specular map from the diffuse by making it black and white, turning down the brightness and upping the contrast. Now I had all the maps I imported the meshes for the head and eyes into Marmoset and applied them accordingly in order to achieve a high quality render not possible within Maya.

These are my Final Renders



No comments:

Post a Comment