Wednesday 9 December 2015

High Poly Crate GAME TEXTURE DEVELOPMENT

High Poly Crate

First off I had to planar map the entire crate so that I could texture and make all of the required maps for this model. When I had planar mapped the cube I had to sort out my UV's in the UV texture editor so I could easily texture it in photoshop.

I then had to go into the rendering mode in Maya, then open the Transfer Maps tab under the lighting/shading sub menu, once you've opened it your going to want to put your low poly object into the target mesh slot and the high poly mesh in the source mesh, select envelope change the output map to normal and change the file format to a targa or tga format, then go into the Maya common output menu and change the map height and width to 1024 x 1024 and put the sampling quality on high, then bake it.

Once I had done this I went into Xnormal and put my high and low poly snapshots, then went into baking options and ticked Ambient Occlusion also then I clicked the box next to it and open the options menu, I had to change the Rays up to 200, then i baked my AO map.

After this I put the AO map into Maya and added a worn looking metal texture over the top of my AO map, I then proceeded to make the worn texture look even more work in the places where it should look worn such as the handles and screw holes. After this I added colour to the map where I wanted the colour to be so it adds more effect and looks better.
Then I added rust and more worn features to my near to complete AO map and made the colours blend into the overall map.

I then made a specular map by turning the overall brightness level down for my worn texture and then I went into the colour range to sample the dark grey in my texture and add it to a new layer so that the chips can be white, then I made them brighter with the levels tools.

I then added all of these different maps into Maya and on to my model and it looked nice first time so I didn't have to go back and change anything so I saved it as my finished cube so I could find it when I needed it.



No comments:

Post a Comment